Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Oregon is too far away...


Last August, our friends; Scott and Sherrie Laffin, moved to Oregon to attend seminary... It's a good thing, but it's been hard to have them gone. Their daughter Kelsea is only 10 days older than Caleb, and they spent the first year of their life hanging out a lot... Plus, Sherrie just had another baby, Rusty, who was born just 5 days after Aidan. So our families mesh wonderfully, and we totally "get" what each other is going through... Plus, their parenting style is very similar, so it's been wonderful to bounce issues off each other...
All this to say that today we got to visit with them, and got to meet Rusty Josiah Laffin for the first time! What a cutie, with beautiful blue eyes! Caleb had a lot of fun playing with his "first love", although they definitely spur one another on to misbehave, esp. with silliness. We went out to lunch, and the kids played here while we made one year picture frames for the new babies, just as we did together for our firstborn...
My favorite moment with Caleb today came when we were pulling into the driveway, and Caleb was saying something that sounded an awful lot like "Shamu", and I'm thinking, "what is he talking about?" But sure enough, I finally spot a wooden wind decoration our neighbor has (I'd never really noticed it before) of a killer whale. Where did he learn about Shamu? Later I did remember that Garrett has a big stuffed Shamu that he saw on Monday, so that must be where it came from, but still, my kid is brillant...

Okay, later that night I told this story to Daddy. I guess he has pointed out this "Shamu" to Caleb before when they take out the trash together... so its not as amazing as I first thought. Oh well...

No comments: