Wednesday, November 28, 2007


As many of you know, we've been concerned about the flatness of Ethan's head for awhile now. Our pediatrician diagnosed it as a moderate case of plagiocephaly, which is fairly common, esp. in multiples (due to cramped quarters in the womb). Well, our ped. in CA and our new one here, seem to lean to the, "you probably don't need a helmet, it might get better, and its not too bad" camp. But, they did agree there is ear misalignment, and a bit of forehead protrusion. (that sounds ogre-ish, doesn't it?)

We decided to see a specialist (pediatric plastic surgeon), and saw him 2 weeks ago. We hoped he'd have a stronger leaning one way or the other. But no, he was pretty much in the middle also. Basically, its your decision, he said. It might get better, and it might not. But now is the last window of opportunity if we wanted to proceed with the helmet.

We decided to proceed with the next step, an appt. with an orthopedic doc. to do a 'scan'. Hopefully we can find out if our insurance will cover any of it.

He'd have to wear it 23 hours a day for 3-4 months. I think they are kinda cute, and I'm not worried about that. I know he'll never look back at pictures and ask why we did that to him, but he might cry over being made fun of some day for a flat head, and I'll know we could've helped prevent that... Esp. being a boy, and not super thick hair endowed.

You'd definitely be able to tell them apart! (What if after the treatment, Ethan ends up with a better shaped head than Kellan? yikes)

Anyway, pray for us and our decision making. They couldn't fit us in until Dec. 13th. We will see!

No comments: